Landing Page Best Practices & Tips
- Make sure the page matches the add that the user clicked 100%. If this means making a separate page for each add you purchase on Google Adwords, or Adbrite so be it.
- Offer Trials. Free trials for 15 or 30 days, are used all the time to increase conversion rates. They really work. Its easier to get someone to sign up if they feel they can just walk away at any point.
- Remove Other Options by minimizing external page links. If what you want them to do is buy or sign up then give them only that option. Don’t send them somewhere else, that’s not going to make you any money.
- Use professional graphics. If you are going to do the landing page yourself you should at least spring for some high resolution royalty free photos or images. Checkout some sites like iStockphoto.com, Shutterstock.com
- Deliver Clear Message. Don’t confuse them with options. Just push them to buy.
- Large Buttons. Large PayPal or Google CheckOut Buttons should be used. Whatever the payment method you should make the buttons large, and in charge.
- Look trustworthy. Don’t make your landing page like those other hundreds or thousands of spammy e-book black background red-text landing pages. Those just scream scam.
- If you can’t do it, then hire someone who can! We’ve used a few guys in the past that have worked out well.
- Write a long ad, and cut back excess. Short and sweet call to action.
- Clear Call to Action. Make them do it now, or they may never do it.
- AB Test your pages to see what version convert best! (AB Testing is the act of using 2 or more versions of an advert to see which one does better)
- Be honest. People like honesty, if you are honest your ad copy will most likely sound reasonable. People aren’t dumb they can tell when someone is laying it on them.
- Use appropriate colors. Some people say red, yellow, and orange colors make a person want to buy, or consume quickly. (these are the colors of many fast food restaurants). I think your colors should match your product, or products mood.
- Check spelling and grammar! Would buy from someone who could not spell?
- Sell a good product, to the right demographic. The best landing page in the world couldn’t sell sand to a camel. Just something to think about.
All of these are great tips for writing effective and high conversion landing pages. The most important tip is to try and try and try. Good luck and Godspeed!