Blog Spam Comments
I have a serious issue with spam comments in my wordpress blog and I’m sure many of you do as well. I have this blog setup to stick all comments into a que until i can approve or deny them. I hate having to spend so much of my time doing this. I almost need to hire someone just to remove blogger spam comments.
What to watch out for?
It becomes increasingly difficult to distinguish between real comments and spam comments. So i’ve come up with some basic rules.
- If user comment is simple praise and has nothing to due with article its spam if they have a link under their username. it’s spam
- If user post link in comment. it’s spam
- If users name (that links to his page), is similar to topic. it’s spam
- If user ip or email is listed in spam database at Spam-IP.com or similar site then…its spam.
So those are 4 basic rules that help me distinguish, real comments from comment spam. If the commenter has a motive other than just standard feedback it is most likely spam.
What to do?
- Delete It
- Turn Spammer In using a service like spamitback.com, stopforumspam.com, spam-ip.com
- Don’t spam, I’m sure you’ve done it, we all have. Just stop spamming other blogs.
- Don’t allow follow tags
- Don’t allow post to go unapproved.
We’d love to hear your feedback (spam free of course 🙂 )