If you are a blogger who owns your own website, there is a good chance you are using WordPress to power it. So why not use some of these cool plugins to help boost your sites quality. Plugins are among the easiest way to quickly improve your sites appeal, and user interaction.
For those of you who may be new to WordPress and it’s add-ons here is a little info. If you are a WordPress Pro you can skip this paragraph. [skip it] OK for those of you still with me, WordPress is a CMS (content management system) geared towards the blogging community. Programmers and developers who are either generous, or offer a premium version of a widget, create plugins that allow the administrators of a WordPress site to add and subtract functionality. Now this is nothing new, I remember back in 2000 when the only free CMS out was PHP-Nuke. PHP-Nuke wasn’t a very good platform, and it got hacked often, but it did allow you to add modules and blocks. WordPress is like PHP-Nuke in this sense, but it is a lot sturdier, and a lot more user friendly. To find wordpress plugins/widgets you need to log into your WordPress admin area usually http://yourwebsite.com/wp-admin/ Once you are logged in click on Plugins then Add New then either search for a new plugin or upload a zipped one.
- All In One Seo Pack – This is my #1 favorite plugin. It helps boost your sites SEO. Great plugin!
- Category Cloud Widget – This widgets ads a category cloud based off of tags. The more at certain tagged is used the larger the font.
- Subscribe To Comments – Great way to keep users coming back for more content. This widget notifies users of new posts.
- Show Top Commentators – One of the best ways to get people commenting, this is similar to the top commentors for a forum or similar.
- Akismet – This is a great plugin that will stop bots from spamming your posts. It won’t prevent humans, but it will partially stop the bots.
- Broken Link Checker – Nothing is more annoying than visiting a site and clicking on a broken link. This widget will check for and notify you of broken links.
- Lightbox 2 – Awesome ajax lightbox popup. A lightbox is the effect seen when someone clicks on an image or link and the screen darkens and nothing is displayed but the image or frame.
- Watermark RELOADED – This plugin will watermark iamges uploaded to your site. So if the images are hijacked or stolen you will still get some promotion.
- WP-Supercache – Search engines do not like dynamic pages as much as they like static html pages. This plugin generates static html pages. Not sure how ell this one will work with the All – In – One SEO pack however.
- Photo Dropper – Most bloggers incorporate images into their posts. This is a great plugin that allows you to add images from Flickr without even leaving your blog.